The ACT test is administered on seven test dates in the US, US territories, Puerto Rico, and Canada. In other locations, the ACT is administered on five test dates. The basic registration fee includes score reports for up to four college choices if you list valid codes when you register.
- National ACT Test Dates (Updated)
- 2017 – 2018 ACT Test Dates
- 2019 – 2020 ACT Test Dates
- International ACT Test Dates
- ACT Practice Tests
- Quick Tips for Choosing Your Test Date
- ACT Test Cost
- ACT Test Fee Waiver
- ACT Test State Vouchers
- Where are the ACT Test Centers?
2018-2019 ACT Test Dates
|ACT Test Date||Registration Deadline||Late Registration Deadline||ACT Score Release||Photo Upload/Standby Deadline|
|December 8, 2018||November 2, 2018||November 3-19, 2018||December 18, 2018 – February 1, 2019||November 30, 2018|
|February 9, 2019*||January 11, 2019||January 12-18, 2019||February 20 – April 5, 2019||Febuary 1, 2019|
|April 13, 2019||March 8, 2019||March 9-25, 2019||April 23 – June 7, 2019||April 5, 2019|
|June 8, 2019||May 3, 2019||May 4-20, 2019||June 18 – August 2, 2019||May 31, 2019|
|July 13, 2019*||June 14, 2019||June 15-24, 2019||July 23 – August 26, 2019||July 5, 2019|
This only applies to the US, US territories, Puerto Rico, and Canada. You may be able to request standby testing for missed or late registration deadline for a test date.
*No test centers are scheduled in New York for the February and July test dates.
*Online score release only. ACT Test Scores are released within two to eight weeks from the time you took the test.
2019 – 2020 ACT Test Dates
Listed in this table are the 2018-2019 test dates. Registration deadlines will be announced by ACT.org in spring 2019.
|Sep 14, 2019|
|Oct 26, 2019|
|Dec 14, 2019|
|Feb 8, 2020|
|Apr 4, 2020|
|June 13, 2020|
|July 18, 2020|
International ACT Test Dates
All students testing outside the United States, United States territories, Puerto Rico, or Canada must register online. Register and create your ACT account to proceed.
You can request for standby testing if you missed the registration deadline for a test date.
|Test Date||Registration Deadline|
|September 7-8, 2018||August 10, 2018|
|October 26-27, 2018||September 28, 2018|
|December 7-8, 2018||November 2, 2018|
|April 12-13, 2019||March 8, 2019|
|June 7-8, 2019||May 3, 2019|
ACT Practice Tests
ACT English Practice Test 1
ACT English Practice Test 2
ACT English Practice Test 3
ACT English Practice Test 4
ACT Science Practice Test 1
ACT Science Practice Test 2
ACT Science Practice Test 3
ACT Science Practice Test 4
ACT Science Practice Test 5
Quick Tips for Choosing Your Test Date
Consider these factors when choosing your ACT test date to increase your chances of scoring higher:
- Schedule after completing your sophomore year. This ensures that you’ll learn topics covered by the ACT test, such as geometry concepts and algebra. Most students take ACT in their junior year.
- Take note of your college admissions and scholarship deadlines. Your results should be ready before you submit your application. Ideally, you should prepare one year before the deadline. ACT.org recommends choosing a test date that is at least two months ahead of all your college and scholarship application deadlines.
- Schedule around the time when you can make your ACT test prep a priority. That means you need to schedule your ACT test when you know you can focus on it. Don’t schedule it when you’re engaged in extra-curricular activities or summer jobs.
- Prepare to take the ACT test more than once. Many students find that retaking the ACT test helps improve their score, but limit it to three times only as retaking it more than thrice can suggest poor planning on your part.
- September may be a good test date if you’re undecided. Summer break gives you more time to prepare for the test.
Related Topic: ACT Test Introduction, Registration & Score
ACT Test Cost
Below are the standard costs when taking the ACT Test:
|Standard Costs||Cost (US Dollar)||Other Details|
|ACT (no writing)||$50.50||Non-refundable|
|ACT with writing||$67.00||Non-refundable|
Here are the additional costs on top of the standard testing fees:
|Additional Costs||Cost (US Dollar)||Other Details|
|Viewing scores and score report online||FREE||As long you are registered online, you can view it for free.|
|Test date change||You can proceed with your original test date or you can request to change it. However, you will need to pay the basic registration fee for the new test date plus the test date change fee. If you request a date change after the regular deadline for the new date, you must also pay the late registration fee. Your basic registration fee for the original test date will be refunded.|
|Test center change (same test date)||$30.00||Changing of test center but the test date should be the same.|
|Test Information Release (TIR)||$20.00||You can request a copy of your actual test questions with answers.|
|International Testing||$150 (with no writing)|
$166.60 (with writing)
|ACT for students outside of the U.S., Canada, or U.S. territories|
|Score reports for 5th and 6th college choices||$13.00 (each report)||Refundable on written request if you do not test.|
|Telephone re-registration||$15.00||Call 319.337.1270, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., central time, Monday through Friday.|
|Late registration (US or Canada only)||$30||Registration or test date change made during the late period for a national test date.|
|Standby testing||$53.00||Refunded if you are denied admission to the test center on test day or registration was canceled due to no photo provided. More about standby testing.|
ACT Test Fee Waiver
If you cannot afford the registration for a national test date and the registration fee for the ACT or ACT with writing, check the following requirements to see if you are eligible to waive the fees:
- Currently enrolled in high school in the 11th or 12th grade.
- Testing in the US, US territories, or Puerto Rico.
- Meet one or more indicators of economic need listed on the ACT Fee Waiver form.
Eligibility and ACT fee waiver requirements are sent to each high school every summer. Don’t hesitate to inquire at your local high school for additional assistance.
To get more information about this process, you can read more on ACT website.
Related Topic: ACT Registration And Requirements
ACT Test State Vouchers
There are some states that offer vouchers to cover the entire ACT testing fee or a portion of it. However, only select students can get this. Your school’s counselor or test coordinator should be able to help if you want to get the ACT state voucher.
Also, the ACT Test State Voucher covers only the following:
- Reports to your high school and up to four colleges (if you provide valid codes when you register).
- Registration fee for the ACT. It may not be used to pay the late registration fee, additional college choices, other services, test date or test center changes, or the standby fee.
- You may submit a voucher for only one test date.
- You can use it once you register or request standby testing even if you do not test on the requested test date.
Where are the ACT Test Centers?
You find a test center’s scheduled test dates, by choosing your state, territory, or province. To view the nearest ACT Test center, check it here. ACT testing centers are listed under actual city name, not the metropolitan area.